It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Multiple Successor Games -- Surely Not!
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:48 pm 

Phil, are you concerned that "Iron Throne" might be an ill-timed choice for an RPG name? With Song of Ice and Fire being on HBO now and book sales surely to increase with the release of book 5 this year, there will probably be more interest in the award-winning Game of Thrones RPG (d20). Iron Throne is an important concept in those stories. When you say "Blade of Iron Throne" it brings to mind exactly the throne from that book which is made of swords and blades melted together by a dragon.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:14 pm 

Not having read the series I couldn't comment about the author's work. I did perform a Yahoo search and discovered that the term Iron Throne was was also associated with an adventure set in the Birthright setting, and a rock band. I think we will be okay.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:24 pm 

Greetings and apologies,

I have been away from the community for far too long it seems. It doesn’t seem like it has been that long but the years slip by.

I have been browsing the threads and didn’t realize so much work had been done on successor projects during my absence. I finally came across the EoS group and tried to make sense of all the ideas thrown around on the various threads. After reading through many of them I couldn’t tie down any central consensus on how you were planning to move forward.

So here I am, posting to this thread, because it has the most recent activity and is discussing the outcome of TRoS successors. Can anyone give me a concise run-down on the project(s). I’m looking for dice, pool, TN, attribute, skill, proficiency, and other important mechanics. (I saw the short summary by pbj44 on his project, but a little more info would be nice if available.) From what I could tell from the threads, many ideas were discussed and thrown to the side. The ones that stand out and seem to be progressing are the one by Higgins and Seanachai and the one by pbj44 (Blade of the Iron Throne). Am I missing any others? I can’t give any opinion of feedback right now due to not really having any concrete information about the projects.

All I can say is that I love TRoS and the community. We have always stood together to support the game despite any disagreements in philosophy or interpretation. My absence was partly due to busy schedules and time slipping, but also no groups to play with. I have a local group again and am considering introducing them to TRoS. I have considered doing a “Game of the Month” type thing to introduce them (and myself) to a variety of games other than the ever-popular d20. Before doing the big intro to TRoS though, I wanted to update myself on developments over here. I have my own sub-system of TRoS that I use and have shared with some of you in the past but I’m very curious about everyone else. Like some of you, I even started my own project a couple years ago to mesh TRoS style play with different dice mechanics. I stalled out on it but am willing to share any of my concepts and ideas with those interested. (I’m not sure this is the correct place to state it or even if it is viable – perhaps someone like Ian can give me the legal aspect of it – but I have all of our original Sorcery and the Fey drafts and work that myself, George and the others did on that project. I’ve held onto it all these years but I’m sure it is dead. Can it hurt to share that information? I don’t think I still have any of our correspondence but the drafts themselves show the various ideas as they developed. A large push by myself – and I’m sure others – was to make sorcery function exactly like combat and the CP.)

I’m pleased to see the work that is being continued by all of you. It saddens me that we can’t somehow do a simple redesign of TRoS but our hands are tied due to the legal aspects of the license and trademark.
Garrion

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:43 pm 

Welcome back Garrion!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:40 pm 

Garrion, I would LOVE to see what you've got to share! Phil's heading up a d12 project, and some of us are working on a d10 revision. You can see where it was heading by looking at the some of the threads Higgins and I started. I'm not sure where Ian, Michael, and the others are on all of this. We asked Ian to make a separate subforum for our project so we could get feedback, but I haven't seen it yet.

Quote:
I think we will be okay.

Probably. Before you publish anything, you might check to see if "Iron Throne" is copyrighted for the use of fictional games (which is separate of course than for music and movies). I ran into this problem last year when working on another game. Our favorite title had words that were copyrighted as part of both fiction (comic books) and fictional games.

By the way, here's a picture of the Iron Throne.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:12 pm 

[quote="Seanachai"]Probably. Before you publish anything, you might check to see if "Iron Throne" is copyrighted for the use of fictional games (which is separate of course than for music and movies). I ran into this problem last year when working on another game. Our favorite title had words that were copyrighted as part of both fiction (comic books) and fictional games.
[quote]

Sean, I did research the name Iron Throne and it is not under copyright protection. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:26 pm 

As cool as the name is, I'd be wary of "Iron Throne" unless you're clearly doing a fan work to G.R.R. Martin, especially with HBO currently using the license.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:32 pm 

Thanks KazianG! I think we're okay, earlier today I consulted with my company's legal department (one of the advantages of working for a large organization), as they are very astute when it come to Copyright and Trademark infringement. We are fine.

Phil

Last edited by pbj44 on Sat May 14, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 pm 

Just for the record, I also assumed from the title that the game was based around Martin's fantasy world (which I'm a fan of).

I think a lot of people will make this initial assumption, and some could unfortunately see it as a marketing ploy.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Ann Landers

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:33 pm 

Cogs42 wrote:
Just for the record, I also assumed from the title that the game was based around Martin's fantasy world (which I'm a fan of).

I think a lot of people will make this initial assumption, and some could unfortunately see it as a marketing ploy.

So that we are all on the same page, please note the following:

1) Again, the PDF will be free.

2) Concerning the color hardbound book, Lulu has three project types for publishing; The first type, which is free with no setup fees, keeps everything private and is for people who wish to make personal books for family and friends, not to be distributed or sold. The second type, also free with no setup fees, is public and allows the books to be sold in the lulu marketplace. The third type allows you to purchase packages from lulu that makes the book available to online bookstores like Amazon.

Our intent is to utilize the first path, which is free and private, and to sell copies of the hardbound volumes, to those who are interested, among our family, friends, and members of the community here at TroSfans, at cost, meaning you pay only Lulu's base cost for the book along with standard shipping and handling. Zero markup. Zero profit.

Phil

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 am 

pbj44 wrote:
...Zero markup. Zero profit.

Hey Phil, what you are doing is absolutely 100% awesome, and I hope my post didn't offend. I was only concerned that the title could come back to bite you, legality issues aside.

I wish you the very best with the whole endeavour! (And I hope I'm still in the running for one of those cost price hardcovers. :) )

Regards,
Colin.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Ann Landers

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:05 am 

Hi Colin,

Absolutely no offense taken! Forgive me if my tone came across as terse. No, any confusion was due to my not being more specific previously about Blade's publishing route. Looks like Ian has got a Blade subforum set up so I will move future comments and thoughts over to that kingdom.

Regards,

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:35 am 

Hey everybody. I'm in the same situation as Garrion. It's been entirely too long since I dropped by here. Crazy things have been happening while I was away!

I've scanned through this thread, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed at the fracturing of the TROS successors. My personal vision never had anything to do with specific mechanics or philosophies. It was always about the fan community banding together to create a successor that would have lots of support and love poured into it, so we'd actually have continual support and material to nurture our games. But I suppose TROS has always too much of a hybrid to really get many like-minded people working together with one vision. My main worry is that the different variations will each be weaker overall due to lack of support. (It looks like pbj's variation is coming along, but forgive me if I don't hold my breath until September. :) )

On the other hand, I guess forcing many people with drastically different desires and philosophies to work together could be just as bad as smaller groups who have less support. I'm sure the different variations will all have their own strengths and attractors, and their authors, at least, will be happy with them. I haven't been around to help anyone in any case, so I shouldn't complain! I may try to drop by a little more often, and I look forward to seeing the work you guys are doing.

So we have two specific variants so far . . . when are Ian and Grettir going to get theirs started???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:34 pm 

Daeruin wrote:
Hey everybody. I'm in the same situation as Garrion. It's been entirely too long since I dropped by here. Crazy things have been happening while I was away!

Great to see an old timer dropping by to say hello!

Daeruin wrote:
I've scanned through this thread, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed at the fracturing of the TROS successors...

...But I suppose TROS has always too much of a hybrid to really get many like-minded people working together with one vision.

What we found in the 50+ development threads was that one person or another would propose a particular mechanic and they would lead that thread through to some sort of end (if not conclusion, at least a better understanding of where the issues lie with that aspect of the game).

However, take four of five of those threads, look at the most popular mechanic proposed within each one -- and you ended up with a an incoherent game, no central theme. Higgins and PJs successor games are tighter, more unified, simply because it is their view, their vision of a successor.

Daeruin wrote:
So we have two specific variants so far . . . when are Ian and Grettir going to get theirs started???

:lol:

Mine is called The Lyonpaedia RPG. I haven't started compiling it yet. It is on the backburner as other projects are coming to the boil.

I too look forward to Gettir's!!

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:11 pm 

Daeruin wrote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Great to see an old timer dropping by to say hello!

Yes indeed!

Daeruin wrote:
I've scanned through this thread, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed at the fracturing of the TROS successors...

...But I suppose TROS has always too much of a hybrid to really get many like-minded people working together with one vision.
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Higgins and PJs successor games are tighter, more unified, simply because it is their view, their vision of a successor.

Yes indeed!

Daeruin wrote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
I too look forward to Gettir's!!

Yes indeed!

Erm, no. :lol:

Fact is, I'm 50% of Blade of the Iron Throne, if y'all absolutely have to know. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next