It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: EoS: Pre-Alfa Playtesting - Controversial Concepts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm 

pbj44 wrote:
I get the sense that we are submitting material to you for the EoS project, perhaps you can give me an idea of areas that you would be interested in getting submissions on, that way myself and others that want to contribute will know where to focus their energies.
I'd be happy to have some grapple rules in the next pre-alpha. :)

Grabs, tosses, two guys rolling on the ground with one dagger...

Other than that... I everyone happy with the wounding mechanisms? In other words... I know it's a momentous project, but... are we ready for the new wound tables?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09 pm 

higgins wrote:
I'd be happy to have some grapple rules in the next pre-alpha. :)Grabs, tosses, two guys rolling on the ground with one dagger...

Gee, I don't really think I'd be too good at coming up with that sort of thing. I think I'd better leave this up to one of the other contributors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 pm 

pbj44 wrote:
Gee, I don't really think I'd be too good at coming up with that sort of thing. I think I'd better leave this up to one of the other contributors.
I brought it up as I thought it would be easy for you as your group uses some very streamlined rules... but what did you have in mind then? :) We have tons of less technical stuff. Fluff text for proficiencies... More through skill & attribute descriptions... Just look at the pre-alpha and tell me what you'd like to improve... I'll tell you my roundabout plans (if I have any) and we can go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm 

I've got a magic mythos and rules framework to propose, but later, of course. So if I can call "dibbs", save that thread for me :D

We also need to start thinking about character gen and progression stuff. I see EOS as being very modular. We basically write that a storyteller's first job is to assemble his priority table. We provide the numbers for attributes, skills, gifts & flaws, and then suggestions for social class (what I call "caste" in my game), race, and so forth.

We need to figure out what a Priority A in Attributes , Skills, Proficiencies would be in a standard EOS game and an "over-powered" EOS game. Storytellers can decide which level they want their story told at.

Also, with new rules about PA Usage (which we still need to work on), we should look at the cost of improving Attributes, Skills, Proficiencies, as well as recommendations for those storytellers using their own original traits (like your cardinals "Connections" trait).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm 

Just a suggestion, but I think that the place to truly start would be a table of contents. Then we could at least place the raw articles within the appropriate chapters and and work on this project within an organized framework. Then work assignments could begin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:22 am 

This is probably pretty low on the priority list, but we're going to need to write an awesome "So you want to be an EOS storyteller, huh?" chapter Let's be honest: EOS is a different breed of RPG. I think we need to put a word in at the front about what it means to run a TROS/EOS-type game - taking more direction from players, having less control on the game plot, and running combat right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm 

pbj44 wrote:
Just a suggestion, but I think that the place to truly start would be a table of contents.
That's a good idea. The pre-alpha is notoriously badly structured, I know. I had a plan for structuring everything marvelously, but it quickly fell apart as I realised that the chunks I managed to fit together seemed rather unintuitive read when taken sequentially.

So, I went back and forth in the anatomy of a character and basic rolling chunks as that seemed to get the reader up to speed more quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 pm 

Go ahead and use the word "Traits". A character is made up of Traits. There are traits that are decided by the Priority Table and at least a few that aren't (PAs, Philosophy, Riddle, Instinct if you play that, etc). EOS referees will have a choice of what the other traits will be Social Class, Assets, etc, right? So perhaps just guidelines and examples should be used for that part.

I would replace Mechanics (which might make people think of the guy who fixes your car; and technically all rules are mechanics) with Conflict Resolution. I worded mine that this was a story-telling game and here's why conflict might come up between characters or players, and here's how it is resolved so that you know where the story will go.

Quote:
Conflict happens when the intentions of two or more characters clash. The dice are used so that the players and storyteller can agree how the story will become more or less complicated for the characters involved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

That just an old screenshot from a file created more than half a year ago just to show how my well intended plans quickly fell apart. Feel free to suggest ANY new structure -- I find that Freemind is an excellent tool for this kind of job. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6