It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TFOB or Core for weapon stats
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:44 am 

Which do you use, or would you use if you handn't house ruled the weapon stats? TFoB seem a bit quirky to me with some 1h swords doing as much damage as polearms and some weapons being practically useless.

I'm just curious. I'm always tempted to stick with the Core weapons.

toli

Post subject: Re: TFOB or Core for weapon stats
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:33 am 

If this matter interests you and you don't mind a bit of reading older posts I can point you to a discussion about just that that gots sparked off in this threa and then led to this threa.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 am 

I use core weapons with TFOB bows/crossbows and core shields with TFOB missile TNs, plus the following house rules:

Dagger: both ATNs -1 to make it more useful
Rapier: long reach, thrust damage ST+2, ST vs metal armour

- Maneuvers I use in addition to core: Disarm, Quick Draw, Shield Wall, Net Throw & Shield Bash (Companion).
- I use core TNs for Shield Bash.
- I used to use Draw Cut maneuver, but it's mostly identical for giving more power to cut and applies to less weapons. Didn't see much point in having it.
- I also add Evasive Attack maneuver to cut&thrust swords and sabres as per errata.
- I use Baiting rules (OBaM) for Stop Short and TFOB rules for Buying Initiative.
- Hook maneuver includes Trip and thus can be performed with non-hooked polearms too.
- I also use Half-staff (or half-spear) maneuver which works just like Half-sword but DTN gets -1 while weapon length doesn't apply when the arms are attacked (got it from The Forge).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:51 pm 

Grettir wrote:
If this matter interests you and you don't mind a bit of reading older posts I can point you to a discussion about just that that gots sparked off in this threa and then led to this threa.

Yes. I've seen those. I like your approach. I'm mostly just curious about what people actually use...between Core and TFoB...thanks.

NT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:59 pm 

Personally I like to use TFoB but I set it in a time zone. so for example 9th and 10th century equipment only. I then do alittle searching on what in in this time period and use the weapons that fit. This prevents most the overpowered one handed weapons vs. Two handed. But even then there are exceptions and house rules that have to be aplied. but in a nutshell thats what I do.

~Flint