It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Optional or Required Material?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:00 am 

After taking a good look around I have come to understand that this book contains a lot of really cool information. Unfortunately, it is an added expense that I’m not sure I can afford just yet. Therefore, I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the rest of the community regarding whether or not these new rules are necessary or simply fun options?

Post subject: Re: Optional or Required Material?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:21 am 

One person's necessary is another person's useless waffle. What sort of game do you like or want to run?

IMO, the mass combat system in TFoB is rubbish but the rest of the tome is really good. The tone of the material is historical rather than fantasy.

It is all optional though. Same with The Companion. There's nothing in either books that fixes something that is completely broken in Core.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 pm 

What TFOB will mainly gave me:
a) Good and informational read on weapons (most entries take a full page) and a good overview of different arrowhead types (ten of them to be exact).
b) Good info on poisons, though I wanter moooore!!! No damn fort save, realistic descriptions of effects! :twisted:
c) Disarm manouver, which was left out the core book. Draw Cut manouver was also an excellent add-on, as it makes cutting swords more realistic.
d) I liked new aiming and shield rules better.
e) While armour section isn't as awsome as the weapon section, it gives you more intuituve rules of what exactly causes the combat pool penalties (heavy stuff on arms mostly, duh) and shows what type of armour covers which part of your body.

And I wouldn't bash the mass combat system. It needs a chart, true, but unless you want to go tactical, I haven't seen a better one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 pm 

Thank you both for the information. I have some more detailed questions now, if someone is willing.

The weapons, is it all rules information in the weapon descriptions? Or do they have a good deal of description of the weapon and how it may fit into the world? Also, is it only medieval weapons or are their some more historical weapons presented like the gladius or the Celtic swords? I’d like to know the same information about the armor entries as well.

Another thought about armor, the Quickstart rules don’t really give me enough information to know one way or the other with my ideas. One thing I really like about the GURPS system is the way that they allowed a person to purchase their armor piece by piece. It would seem, from the rules on different body locations that can be covered by armor in the QS rules, that TRoS uses the same kind of set up. Is this true? If so, how do the rules present in this book affect the core rules?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 am 

To answer your question on the weapons entries, they give a picture of the weapon (historical) then a chart with all the rules (except price I think) then their is a sizable desciption of the weapon, with a it of history and sometimes some tactics. All in all it is the best Weapons section you will find in any game that I am aware of. They are also written by a man who knows how to handle himself with a weapon and what a weapon is for.

Yes there are older weapons, and not just from Europe there is a section on Eastern Weapons and some Middle Estern Weapons, the only problem I have is with the Katana, they just ain't that good, I'm sorry but its true.

As for Armour, yes you can purchase different bits and pices and customise it to your self, each bit of armour only protects the body part that it covers. And some body parts (as Higgins pointed out) are effected by what type of armour you wear (heavy armour on the arms and legs can really slow you down).

I hope this answers a few of your questions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:28 pm 

Yes it does, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:39 am 

I will have to second some of these opinions.

I consider TFoB essential, but if your games are very combat light, then it is easily regulated to a nonessential status.

The weapon sections often have actual use and historic desctiptions of the weapons use and origin (including oft times, a date) for each weapon. This also offers many more choices for your characters to have. There are weapons going back to roman times, and many from the middle east and asian countries as well. If you wanted to run a roman game, you would have all the weapons you need.

The armor section is helpful, as it describes armor coverage, material, and more options you can do with it, also going into the historical aspects of the armor (good if you have a player unfamiliar of 'real' armor and is looking for studded leather on the list). Also, as said, you can peicemail your armor should you wish.

I personally found the favoring rules, additional stances and new manuevers to add so much to the depth of combat, that I can't see playing without them. Thats just this man's opinion.

The mass combat section is Ok if it fits what you are trying to do. It is not going to represent a real battle accuratly at all. It will however, allow battle to play out just as they do in movies, if that makes any sense.

Now, with all that being said, I will mention this. If you and your group are new to TRoS, then this book can easily be waited on. I think that eventually you will find it indespensible, but when you and your players are learning this game, the weapons are nice, but all the other rules might overwhelm you. Some of the new manuevers will be available to starting characters, and they dont really need to be considered by players who are still trying to figure out what a feint and what a counter do.

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 am 

I'll just add one last thing, I've found the Layout in TFoB and The Companion to be far superior to the of the CRB, and thus I've found it easier to understand the game whilst reading the rules together (TFoB and the Companion have lots of page number references)

The Core Rule Book seems rather, well messy, it is the only thing I'm disapointed about with TRoS but hey, it was their (DW) first go, so you gotta cut em some slack hey :P

Cheers & God Bless you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:42 pm 

Quote:
I'll just add one last thing, I've found the Layout in TFoB and The Companion to be far superior to the of the CRB,

Really? To this day, after 3 years, I still cannot flip right to either, favoring, stances, or the new manuevers... the 3 sections I use the most. I can blind point to anything in the Core though...

I agree though, the core has some layout problems, but thats a one author attempt for you. I think TFoB layout might be alright, but I can't deal with it. I haven't figured out why certain rules are in different areas and what not.

The companion is the best edited and layed out book they printed, excluding OBaM, but thats a copout.

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:20 am 

Well, it sounds like the Flower of Battle is on my list of books to buy when it becomes available. My players and myself enjoy having lots of options when it comes to equipment, especially weapons and armor, and I have no problem holding off on the more advanced rules until they have mastered the core set.

My thanks to all of you for your help. Things are looking a good deal clearer from where I am sitting now. I am finding myself growing more and more excited about reading the core book, and I didn’t think that was possible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm 

Oh, about weapons... Check out the fan-made "missing page" (a ~3,5MB pdf) to get some idea of what the entries looks like.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 am 

As a newbie, I'd say that The Flower of Battle is nearly essential.There is some stuff I won't use in TFOB, but the armor and weapon rules and illustrations are like mana from heaven for someone who isn't fimrly grounded in the history of this stuff.

All that said, good luck finding any of the books. I think the Companion is on sale as a PDF here and there. I haven't been able to find any of the others through reputable channels, and of course the TROS store has been down for months.