It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Major Gift: Chosen of the Gods
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm 

I have a player with the major gift: Chosen of the Gods. He is playing the character brilliantly. During a session, the PCs were chasing a major villain (basically a false prophet, a bit more complicated, though) on horseback. They had to catch her and stop her or there would be some major consequences, they were in a situation that I am not sure if they could have gotten out of. He wanted to use his ability to perform a miracle and cause the bad guys horse to hit a hole/root or something. I allowed it, and assigned a target number, he burned his SA and actually made his roll. The she failed the ride skill and the horse fell and she tumbled to the ground and took a level 2 wound to the face and a level 2 wound to the hip and an additional wound that I don't remember. He then rode up and brained her with his war flail.

I chose a target numb of 6 for this miracle, because it was not something that could be directly attributed to a God(a rough spot on a game trail). I'm not sure that, as the Seneschal, I wanted to deal with the consequences of her getting away and it did further the plot to stop her. The characters actually got into the situation they were in because they followed their SA's, so it wasn't stupid choices.

How would you have handled it? I think it went well, and will furthered the plot, I am just hoping I didn't set a precedent too early with what he can expect, but at the same time, he is burning SA's to do this.

Also, how would you have handled the fall? I gave her 5 fall wounds, due to the speed of the horse and her failed ride roll. I think it may should have been more, but I'm new to this whole TROS thing :)

Post subject: Re: Major Gift: Chosen of the Gods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 am 

Hi Headwound,

Providing you and your group are having fun, THAT is all that matters.

On the difficulty of miracles, I think that the easier it is to explain as a natural event then the easier it should be and how damaging to the source the non-deliverance will be. But I would have an out-of-game chat to the player, or the group, to explain your position on how easy miracles will be to gain.

On the fall, did it make a better scene to have the player kill the prophet or have the accident kill the prophet?

Yours

Simon Burling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 am 

It was definitely a fun night. It was our first session after an introductory session with pre-generated characters, that had no combat of all things the first night :)

The scene was definitely better for the character to kill her, it showed the other characters how far he will go for his his convictions while allowing himself to learn as well. It was in character, I gave him a dream that may have been a bit too obvious to him, as I am new at the whole dream/prophecy thing. However, he swears the dream didn't click until they (well their scout) saw her perform a sacrifice.

I was just wondering how that miracle TN should have been set, making sure I wasn't setting myself up for heartache in the future. He pulled me aside and told me his was just praying for divine intervention and that he does not feel that his character actually did the deed. He even went into the woods and meditated/prayed after the event while everyone else cleaned up the area.

A bit off topic, I am very impressed with the game. The first night we played was fun and interesting, but with the players playing their own characters the second night, they hit the ground running with the SA's. One of the players is a renaissance fencer in the SCA and he was a bit skeptical of the game at first. When the combat started, he just kept nodding his head, and even told us the names of the strikes when the players called out locations. The SA's almost make this game write itself. I haven't run an RPG in many years (maybe over 15 at this point) and my first love has always been fantasy. I loved WHFRP but I am sick of the setting, with all of the WFB and 40K I have played. My fondest RPG experiences as a GM have always been Call of Cthullu, because of the psychological aspects of the game. TROS is a good system for the type of fantasy game I have always wanted to run... the combat is so deadly that it only happens when it is important and they players are forced to think tactically when they get into a fight.

I know that last paragraph may have been a bit hard to follow because of my ramblings, but anyway, I'm just happy to have a place to talk about the game for the rare times I have time to type a post :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm 

Glad you enjoyed it!

Sounds like you love it for many the same reasons we all keep playing it.

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 pm 

simon burling wrote:
On the fall, did it make a better scene to have the player kill the prophet or have the accident kill the prophet?
HeadWound wrote:
The scene was definitely better for the character to kill her, /--/

I think that Simon meant to ask if... Is it more fun to:
a) Spend a miracle point to cause the enemy fall from a horse and get injured, flollowing a coup de grace.
b) Make an effort to catch up with the enemy and take him on uninjured.

I've done both, and I actually liked version "a" better (I used a spell on the horse), but that was mainly because of a complicated conflict of four mages plus some other miscallenous folk and it took a LOT of finesse to pull off an unnoticed revenge act to an enemy with her allies nearby and other people out to get her (who would not have minded getting me either) while avoiding the local law enforcement. :D

Nothing wrong with the head-on solution either. All depends on a situation at hand. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:08 am 

I think TN 6 is fine, I mean, the Player's could have burnt a Drama Point and had the same effect without a TN, so yeah, its definetly not overkill, as long as the mundane Fighter's don't start feeling out classed by the Jedi... err, I mean Priesty dude, then its all cool.

Cheers & God Bless!