It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skill pools & priorities
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:46 pm 

From what I understand, the Companion introduced the idea of skill pools to replace the core skill mechanic. Other people have come up with their own variations on the idea of skill pools, including a great thread here on the board. I'd like to use this idea for a TROS game I'm starting, but I don't really have any resources.

How do these skill pool systems address the initial determination of ability? In other words, how does the priority chart and the skill packets work with a skill pool system? Any ideas or advice?

Post subject: Re: Skill pools & priorities
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 pm 

Hi Daeruin.

Sorry, a bit late here, didn't see this post :mrgreen:

I'm currently running a campaign myself using skill pools. What I did for character generation is simple.

Priority A: 2 skill packets at 4 (i.e. a 4d pool) or eighty points
Priority B: 2 skill packets, 1 at 4 one at 3 or seventy points
Priority C: 2 skill packets at 3 or 60 points
Priority D: 2 skill packets at 2 or 40 points
Priority E: 2 skill packets at 1 or 20 points
Priority F: 1 skill packet at 1 or 10 points

Like with weapons, starting maximum is 7 when using points (8 with an A priority),otherwise you just spend 1 point for 1 die.

Tell me if you need anything else or have any questions ;) (or if you think it's completely rubbish :roll: )

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:34 am 

Hey, thanks for replying. As the site was loading just now, I was thinking to myself, "If I had a low self esteem, I'd feel bad that nobody took the time to reply to my post." But hey, somebody did reply, so I don't even have to bother trying to imagine what I'd feel like if I had a low self esteem!

I ended up doing something very similar, but with a wider range.

A. One packet at 4 and one at 5
B. One packet at 3 and one at 4
C. Two packets at 2
D. Two packets at 1
E. Two packets at 0
F. One packet at 0

Though now that I look back on it, a starting skill of 0 doesn't make a lot of sense. :D Nobody chose those priorities, though, so it worked out OK. Do you think that a starting pool of 5 is too high? I'm not sure I like the smaller increments you get by going up to B and A in your version. The increment should be the same, if not better, for the higher priorities.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:30 am 

Daeruin wrote:
I'm not sure I like the smaller increments you get by going up to B and A in your version. The increment should be the same, if not better, for the higher priorities.

I'm not sure I do either, I was just quickly adapting core that does the same thing, smaller increments for skills on A & B priorities. I suppose they didn't want D & C priorities characters to be too crappy, so they lowered the increments (possibly because themselves at Driftwood were always using D or C for skills, which many people tend to do : A Attributes, B Weapon proficiencies, and then arrange skill, social class and gifts & flaws as you prefer ;) )

I thinks yours is a bit harsh on E, which sounds like it's the same as F if you don't houserule on unskilled rolls (I do, with a minimum of TN+1) and a starting packet at 5 seems to me like it is going a little too high.