It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Rule of Three... 3 sided Polyhedron?!?!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:12 pm 

Hey guys, I was just reading through the Sorcery section and came across the Rule of Three. In it it states that Xanar Shardfinder discovered the Rule of Three, which is basically that all energy and magic fits within a 3 sided polyhedron. The thing is, there is no such thing as a three sided polyhedron, was this done intentionally to show that Xanar and sorcerors know some deeper truth than us mere mortals, or did the writer simply err?

Personally I like the "Deeper Truth" feel of the 3 sided polyhedron, but I just thought I'd mention it here and see what you guys thought.

Cheers!

PS: I am right in assuming there is no 3 sided polyhedron right? I mean, that is impossible right?

Post subject: Re: The Rule of Three... 3 sided Polyhedron?!?!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:25 pm 

You are correct that there is no three sided polyhedra, as polyhedron is required to have flat faces and straight edges by definition. But with curved edges and sides, it perfectly possible to construct a three sided geometrical shape that looks vaguely like an American football.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:22 pm 

Cool, so the 3-side Polyhedron is either a mistake or some "deeper truth" that us mere mortals are unable to comprehend.

Like I said, whether it was intentional or not, I like the fact that there is no 3-sided Polygedron's and yet the very basis of magic dictates that all energy exhists within a 3-sided Polyhedron. Paradoxical as magic should me.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:27 pm 

OFF TOPIC: Hey Higgins, I noticed you are from Estonia, that's just north of Latvia right? I was wondering if you have ever been to Latvia, and if so if you went into any museums? The reason I ask, is you may remember a while back on the old thread I mentioned there was a 2-handed Norse Sword found in Latvia, Grobina, I guess its far fetched, but you wouldn't have seen one by any chace (assuming you've ever been to Latvia, and Assuming that if you did you went to a museum).

I know, its a shot in the dark, but worth a try never the less.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 pm 

Sure, I've been to Latvia, but these were mostly family trips when I was little. I remember seeing stuffed hammer shark, but no swords, sorry.

Anyway, this thread here pretty much sums all the links and pics I've ever managed to find on the viking bastard and two-handed swords: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread ... adid=55786

And as we're offtopic already, a friend of mine is in Australia at the moment, and he'll be probably staying there until the summer... But I'm not sure wether on gold or emerald coast, and I'm also not quite sure what those terms mean. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 am 

I don't think we have an Emeald Coast, so he's probably on the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is a section of beach in the State of Queensland, it's where all of ou theme parks and what not are. It is nice and sunny, he'll love it I'm sure.

Me and Ian on the other hand live all the way down the bottom of Australia in Victoria, which is generally rainy and miserable, though our summers get hot enough, it reached 30 degrees the other day and I almost died :P I'm a cold weather guy, the type that dsits around in singlets at the snow :D

Back to the Sword topic, that's the same forum I found the sword in unfortunately. There was a guy on the old forums who was hunting it down he was the son of a curator, but I still haven't heard back. The day I get the measurements on that beauty is the day I get a custom sword made, and I'm talking $10,000, yes, I really love the sword THAT much! :)

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 am 

Well, the guy at odinblades.com has produced a similar one, but I expect you'd have no other than the one based on that found original. :)

Do you know what museum is it in, by the way? I don't expect to be going sightseeing abroad, but... :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:54 pm 

No, unfortunately I don't know which museum it is in. Jonathan Waller was trying to track it down, but I still haven't heard back.

I can't remember where, but I read one guy who said he has been to several museums that house "Half and a half Norse Swords" but that they are rarely on public display. Whether he was talking out his nether-regions however, is unknown.

And yes, I will accept no substitutes, it must be based from the original (ofcourse the blade length and PoB and PoP, will have to be guessed at, but I suppose I'll just find another Norse blade I love and combine the two :D)

Cheers!