It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: In Search of New Worlds
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:59 am 

Hey guys, thanks for the links, I found a free download on their site and I'll check it out, though Grettit's "reveiw" doesn't instil much hope.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:58 am 

Just keep in mind that Grettir is a little more . . . how shall I put it . . . particular about certain things than many of the rest of us. No offense, Grettir. :) I love you for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 am 

Oh, I heard of another book based on Norse mythology. It sounds very strange. It's sounds as though it's set in a modern-to-near-future type world post-Ragnarok. So there's futuristic technology, but also magic and mysticism all based on Norse mythology as presented in the Eddas, Sagas, and other historical sources.

All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 am 

Daeruin wrote:
Just keep in mind that Grettir is a little more . . . how shall I put it . . . particular about certain things than many of the rest of us. No offense, Grettir. :) I love you for it.

None taken, Daeruin.

And you're probably right about my tastes. To restate: I didn't think that there was anything wrong per se with the setting of Battleaxe. It was just that I felt it was a generic, fully exchangeable, run-of-the-mill dark mid-to-high fantasy world, and I don't think that the thousandth bland permutation of this kind is actually needed.

A world that would be just perfect for you, Crow Caller, would be Waeland on the world of Midgard. It's a low-to-mid fantasy world drawing heavily on cultures from the Dark Age through Renaissance, being in development for some 25 years already and having a very high grade of internal logic and believability. Waeland is its Norse-themed land, with the geographically closest lands on the world of Midgard being Scotland-themed Alba to the southwest and Russia-themed Moravod to the southeast. Unfortunately for you, game and setting are completely in German. You can at least have a look at a map here.

As Waeland is out of the question, I’d second the recommenation for Ivinia.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm 

If you want to run a norse based campaign, CC, I'm real familiar with Harn. Harn has a small Nordic type culture on the Island where they are the occupiers of a primarily Jarin (Celtic - think Irsh or Welsh) population.

If you want something closer to a Nordic homeland, there is a module Menglana that gices some good info, complete with power structure/political situations. You have a King of a kingdom past it's glory days, being attacked by raiding pirates (Rognan's), and having a portion of their country being invaded by another Nordic type kingdom (Ibanvaal). Plenty of intrigue and wars to go around. The current King does not get along well with many of the Jarls, and should he die you have 8 or so sons looking to sucede him, though some realize they don't really have a chance.

There is also Chelemby, whcih I would think more of as a Danelaw Viking culture, that has grown wealthy from trade, though is less martial than some of the others.

I think it would convert pretty easily to TROS - it's also pretty low fantasy. The higher setting is on the Isle of Harn, but even that is pretty low fantasy. Just stay away from some of the published modules - it was designed to be a low fantasy game, but some of these have you world hopping like Elric of Melnibone.

Harn though is probably one of the best detailed and realistic settings out there. Menglana does not have quite the detail you can get from Harn, but is still good. Harn actually goes to the point where you know how many serfs, freemen, guildsmen, etc. etc. are in every settlement (and how many acres each has!).

I think C&S at one time also had a world modelled on earth, almost a direct copy, but with some fantasy elements thrown in, mostly from Earth of that time and place. I'm not sure how far they expanded into Viking culture, but I know they did to a point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:07 am 

I'll be starting a new TROS PBP game in about a week, and I've chosen Westeros, from George RR Martin's "Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire series.

The books and the series are outstanding, and the setting is a perfect fit (IMHO) for The Riddle of Steel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:21 pm 

Would this game be on rpol.net by any chance? And yes, it is a fantastic series. I wouldn't expect a happy ending though; half the characters are liars, cheaters and murderers. And those are the nice ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:34 pm 

Hector wrote:
Would this game be on rpol.net by any chance? And yes, it is a fantastic series. I wouldn't expect a happy ending though; half the characters are liars, cheaters and murderers. And those are the nice ones.

Yep, it will be on RPOL. I've got 1 interested party, so there is definately room for more if you're interested. Story will be based in the Stormlands, but I'm still working on the exact timeframe. At this point all I can say is that it will take place before the Game of Thrones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:38 pm 

Very cool. I have run several games in Westeros using TROS, and they were all quite fun. It's a very good match.

We did a fair bit of work on chargen and stuff over at the Song of Steel wiki. I also started a wiki for one of my games that you might find interesting. I have chargen rules up using Yokiboy's skill pool system. They've been dormant for quite a while, but feel free to stop by and pillage any good ideas you find.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:19 pm 

I suspect I may well be that one interested person; I put up a request on GMs Wanted specifying no d20, and preferring either RoS, Harn or GURPS. Either that or it's a very, very strange coincidence...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:31 pm 

Daeruin wrote:
Very cool. I have run several games in Westeros using TROS, and they were all quite fun. It's a very good match.

We did a fair bit of work on chargen and stuff over at the Song of Steel wiki. I also started a wiki for one of my games that you might find interesting. I have chargen rules up using Yokiboy's skill pool system. They've been dormant for quite a while, but feel free to stop by and pillage any good ideas you find.

Thanks Daeruin, I will do just that!

And Hector I believe we are talking about the same game.