It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The great Weyrth land-grab begins...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:17 pm 

Hi,

Weyrth is the under-developed campaign setting for The Riddle of Steel. The designer's intent was that each referee would use the 60-odd pages of material contained in Book 7 of The Riddle of Steel as a loose framework in which to set their campaign, developing it as they saw fit and as suited the needs of their player group. An admirable theory; an awful practice. The net result is that the referee must seek inspiration elsewhere and perform a lot of work just to get to that first game session. There has to be a better way.

Many individual TRoS fans have lamented the lack of source material for Weyrth. Many have offered to create source material if only there were a place to put it, a central repository. This site provides an opportunity to see Weyrth developed by the fans, for the fans, in collaboration.

I propose having a sub-forum for each of the geo-political sub-divisions of Weyrth. These sub-forums will be created if and when someone puts their hand up and says that they want to develop that part of Weyrth. The sub-forum will then be created and the individual member will be made the moderator of that sub-forum. They are responsible for maintaining the area, adding material to it. Others may of course participate and assist but the final decision on whether something is suitable for that area of Weyrth rests with the moderator. It's not a dictatorship; it's just at some level someone has to be responsible for what is loaded into the sub-forum.

If you are interested in "owning" a part of Weyrth just start a new thread in the Weyrth forum and I'll create the sub-forum for you.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: The great Weyrth land-grab begins...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 pm 

What would be the etiquette for multiple countries?

I assume that if you already have a claim, but no one claims country x, that after awhile you could claim country x as well? Or would that be too much work for one man?

For instance, I would love to work on Dardanet, Ahr, and Ijia.

Just a question!

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:32 pm 

Hi,

stuh42l wrote:
What would be the etiquette for multiple countries?

I see this as a coordination role as much as it is a working role. The more you develop Stahl, for example, the more people will use your material, play in Stahl, develop their own material for Stahl, and thus be in a position to contribute to your project. I also see it as quite fluid -- if you manage to get other people interested in your project then you can hand over the coordination role if Real Life intrudes on how much effort you can put into the project.

stuh42l wrote:
For instance, I would love to work on Dardanet, Ahr, and Ijia.

Feel free to work on them. Perhaps, though, allow someone else to do the coordination if someone puts their hand up for that task. Let's see what happens...?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:25 am 

Of course!

I was just wondering what to do to the countries that no one ends up taking. Hence my asking. I will be super busy with Stahl at first, its landmass alone makes it a monster!

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:30 am 

My suspicion is that the unclaimed countries will simply remain unclaimed and largely empty -- just as they are now, it's status quo. However, that being said I know I'll be writing about Taveruun's relationship with other countries and in so doing I'll be detailing some aspects of those countries through the eyes of the Taveruunais' eyes.

Part of this comes about simply through adding the detail to the false-front countries that exist now. Everything is, well, kind of cartoonish in it's simplicity. That's why for me some of the core material has to be waived in favour of a more detailed, sophisticated, and rounded setting. In getting away from the broad sweeping statements you get to the interesting relationships between peoples.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I'm expecting various states to be developed swiftly as I know several people have various nations developed to different degrees. Hopefully they can be lured to putting their material up here.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:44 pm 

I know what you mean about the cartoonish part.

One of the main things I would like to flesh out about Stahl is the whole 'athesim' concept. For a world with at least 3 detailed major religions, an old religion based empire, and numerous pagan and magic based faiths, atheism seems... well stupid. I am sure maybe some nobles of Stahl have embraced athesim as the vogue religion, but I am sure the church and pagan faiths hold a lot of sway.

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:35 pm 

stuh42l wrote:
... For a world with at least 3 detailed major religions, an old religion based empire, and numerous pagan and magic based faiths, atheism seems... well stupid ...

To me it seems to be improbable in the extreme. In fact it's absurd. At a societal level the church was the major factor that influenced and shaped the nations of Europe in the middle ages. At a daily-life level the church was the one commonality everyone had. If you take that away from a developing nation -- you don't end up with something that looks like Stahl. Even if you just think what would have happened to an early medieval nation without the Peace of God and the Truce of God church-sponsored initiatives -- let alone so many other factors -- and extrapolate, I think you'd end up a long way from the high medieval society of Stahl.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm 

Quote:
To me it seems to be improbable in the extreme.

Exactly. Now I can stretch my view a little, on the fact that its still a fantasy game, to see that maybe a few important nobles that claim to embrace aethism. However, the only benifit to doing so is to further distance the stahlnish kingdom with the old empire, or to completly snub the new Gelurian one. The trade off politically and socially however... is extreme to say the least.

I also agree that the idea that a nation like Stahl could devolp with 'martial nationalism' as its only unifying theme is rediculous.

Plus, a Stahl with religion would be oh so much cooler. The added tension, drama, and focus for all that vaunted will.

After all, the Teutonic order didn't happen because of aethism...

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:31 am 

When not gaming, I am a professional historian of Roman Antuquitiy, so I might give The Seat of the Xanarian Empire an shot.

I’ve stated in the past that I don’t care much for Weyrth, but as I have set all my recent campaigns in a very slightly fantasized version of Western Europe in the 480s, I have some ready material which could quite easily be ported to The Seat of the Xanarian Empire. The short description in the core book hints at something along the lines of the Byzantine Empire, with a measure of Rome during the late antiquity and a smattering of Italian citystates thrown in, so thisis the way I would go with this.

A word of warning, though. I don’t care much for game products that do not offer something that isn’t available elsewhere, I have no intention to do yet the hundredth version of Rome-goes-Middle-Ages; if I do this, I am going to do something original, something that isn’t easily available elsewhere, starting out with modelling the society very closely on the Roman Empire of the 4th century, for a start. If this is ok, I would be prepared to do The Seat of the Xanarian Empire.

As much of the history of the lands already claimed is closely connencted to the history of the Xanarian Empire, I have an immediate idea about Stahlnish atheism. Could it be portrayed as a very conscious countermovement to Xanarian piety and its big role in the government? I think of the Stalnish being a Xanarian province rising up against the Xanarians and supporting this revolt with a very strict and fanatical atheistic philosophy. It could thus be something along the lines of a strict code of the warrior-elite, which was never embraced by the masses and which is by now, after having shaken off the Xanarian yoke, long outdated and useless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 am 

The sub-forum has been created. I look forward to participating in this development myself. I have a lot of material on the ancient city of Lugdunum.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am 

Fine; thank you.

I shall start out with a short primer to Imperial history, without touching too much on other nations, and with an outline of the Imperial society, its stangeness and its workings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:44 pm 

I would like to cover the Savaxen countries, since i have a great interest in viking history and myths and have also developed the land a lot for my own campaign.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:11 pm 

Quote:
would like to cover the Savaxen countries, since i have a great interest in viking history and myths and have also developed the land a lot for my own campaign.

Great news! If you take the Savaxen area, I would hope that we could have some collaberation, since technically, its part of Stahl. I look forward to working with you on this!

I am especially interested in your verison of their religion, because I am sure some of it has spread to the shores of Stahl proper!

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:34 pm 

That will be good. I had actually extensivly mapped Stahl as well as part of the campaign i was running there, but since you have claimed that area i will wait and see what you have done. I will start with the phyisical aspects of Savaxen things such as maps and he like since that is where i usually start whenever going into campaigns, mainly becuase it gives me a good idea of the land that shapedd the people living there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:06 pm 

Email me a suitable graphic for your forum and I'll set it up.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming