It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Activation Costs for Manoeuvres
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 pm 

Hi,

My group has played through 4 or 6 mock combats, and a couple in-game ones. One impression that we have come away with is the dice cost for manoeuvres is high enough that unless one combatant has significantly more dice than the other, the dice lost are not worth the advantage. i.e. if both fighters have a 12 dice pool, then pass on manoeuvres, but if one has 16 and the other has 10 then manoeuvres make sense for the fighter with 16 dice.

Does this match other people's experiences? If not, what are we missing (other than more fights where it counts :) )?

Thanks,
Shawn

Post subject: Re: Activation Costs for Manoeuvres
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 am 

If you invest some of dice into the activation costs and your opponent doesn't, indeed, those dice you used for activation won't help you get more successes, while your opponents whole pool works for getting those. So, yes, maneuvers inherently gobble up more CP than your standard cut, thrust and parry.

So, what are you missing then?

You're missing what everybody discards when doing mock battles: SAs.

The general principle in TROS is: What is worth fighting or dying for? When SAs fire, you generally have a superior CP and thus the leisure to spend dice on activation costs. All in all, if your SAs are not firing, it's a bad idea to enter a fight at equal odds as it could go either way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm 

Thanks for the response. With SAs active and larger dice pools, activation costs are not as severe and the players are more than happy to use them.

Shawn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 am 

I realize this is an older thread, but here goes.

The other reason to use the moves (and 12 cp is plenty by the way) is that they give you an advantage, especially if you are the defender. Otherwise you, are just playing a game of 'who can roll better dice' until someone dies. The use of the moves and the proper allocation of Dice Pool to those move or to the basic attacks is critical to TRoS.

Remember, even slash, thrust, block, and parry are moves; they just don't have activation costs.

Some moves may seem to have expensive activation costs, but in reality, a 2 cp cost is 'probably' only giving up one potential success for a TN 6 attack or defense. Try to look at the benifits the move might grant you, for the cost of 1 success, not 2 dice.

Join me in battle Knave!